Need some help to choose the right golf trundler? Our blog today takes you through the basic facts to help you on your way.
A golf trundler, trolley or push/pull cart is a useful piece of equipment to have on the golf course.
Whilst we can’t deny the convenience of using a golf cart to zip around the course, it is great exercise to walk your round of golf. Carrying your golf clubs for 18 holes may seem a bit daunting and that’s where golf trundlers come in. They are a great compromise for those golfers that would like the health benefits of walking without the potential back injury from carrying a golf bag around.
What are the benefits of using a golf trundler?
As mentioned, the main benefit of using a golf trundler (over riding around in a golf cart) is the exercise you will get from walking. Other benefits are:
- Save your energy – if you are upgrading from carrying your golf bag to using a golf trundler you will be amazed at how much more energy you have on those last few holes – which can only mean good things for your game!
- Allows easy access to golf clubs – your golf clubs will be right in front of you ready for you to select the one you need.
- Can provide additional storage for items – some golf trundlers have scorecard holders, drink holders and even umbrella holders so you can play whatever the weather.
- Some golf trundlers have a small seat, so that you can sit and have a rest during your round.
If your budget will allow it, a motorised trundler could be an option for you. Motorised trundlers are powered by a rechargeable battery and remove the need for any pushing or pulling. These usually have variable speed settings, can sometimes be controlled remotely, and will move alongside you as you walk.
The benefits of using a golf trundler might have made you decide that you’d like to buy one ready for your next game of golf. Now you may be thinking how do you choose the right golf trundler for your needs? Read on to find out what to consider when purchasing a trundler.
Choosing the right golf trundler
There are a number of things you should consider when choosing a golf trundler. Some of the most important points are:
- Size and weight – You will need to make sure the golf trundler you choose will fit into your car boot when folded down. Most trundlers fold to a similar size (with 3 wheeled versions being more compact than those with 4 wheels). The weight of trundlers can vary quite a lot, so always check this when selecting one. Your trundler will need to be light enough for you to lift it in and out of your car; you also want to avoid buying a truindler that’s too heavy to push or pull around the course!
- Durability – Your golf trundler will need to withstand being unfolded and folded many times, as well as being transported in your car and pushed around golf courses. It makes sense to buy the best you can afford, look for trundlers with slightly thicker frames and quality wheels. A cheaper option may seem appealing but it probably won’t last as long as a higher quality trundler.
- Performance – Make sure the cart you choose will be able to carry your golf bag. You will also need to ensure that it can withstand the course you intend to use it on (particularly if it is very hilly). If you are looking at motorised trundlers, you need to consider the battery capacity. Most will specify how long the battery will last before it will need recharging. This could vary from 18 to 36 holes.
- Ease of set up/fold down – It is best, if you can, to test a golf trundler before you purchase it to make sure you can easily set it up and fold it down.
There is no “one size fits all” with golf trundlers and which one you choose will depend upon your personal preferences and your budget. Remember to consider where you will be playing golf, what are the key features you need/desire, what space you have to store and transport your golf trundler and also what your budget is. If at all possible, try out a few different trundlers in a shop before you make a purchase, so that you can see which type suits you best.
Riccarton Park Golf Complex has a fully equipped golf shop that stocks a range of high quality golf trundlers. We have professional golfers in store to offer you advice on the best equipment to suit your game. We’re easy to find on Steadman Road, West Christchurch with access off of SH1. Please contact us if you would like any further information. We look forward to seeing you!